Monday, May 13, 2013

(Very) Healthy Banana Muffins


It’s been a “use up what’s in the fridge before it goes bad” kind of cooking day, and so far I’ve had some good results. First was kale chips, then roasted veggies, and now, (very) healthy banana muffins.


I loosely followed this recipe but was missing a bit of this, and added a bit of that instead. Here is the recipe of what I actually made.




Recipe: (Very) Healthy Oatmeal Banana Muffins

Makes 12-18, depending on the muffin size you choose


2 ripe bananas

½ cup Greek yogurt

½ applesauce (I like to keep the individual size cups around for recipes like this)

2 ½ cups oats

1 tablespoon coconut oil

A good squeeze (1 ½ tablespoons?) of agave nectar

2 eggs

1 ½ teaspoon baking powder

½ teaspoon baking soda


Mix everything together.

Spoon into greased muffin tins.

Put in the oven at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.


The verdict: These were good! They were a bit different than regular banana bread, but also way healthier - no flour, butter, or white sugar! They will make a great easy grab-and-go breakfast. The next time I make them, I might try grinding up the oatmeal in a food processor or blender to make an oat flour.

UPDATE: I froze these since it made a lot of them. They're a good quick breakfast or snack, taken out of the freezer and put in the microwave. I liked them better heated up after being frozen; they were softer.

No comments:

Post a Comment